Klonopin is a drug with sedative, muscle relaxant, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant and antiepileptic effects. Klonopin generic name is Klonazepam or Rivotril.
Indications of generic Klonopin
- Epilepsy (myoclonic, akinetic, temporal, submaximal generalized and focal seizures) in adults and children;
- Phobias, fear syndromes, paroxysmal (in patients from 18 years old);
- Psychomotor agitation with reactive psychosis;
- Manic phase of cyclothymia.
- Contraindications of Klonopin drug
- Disorders of consciousness, breathing (central origin);
- Respiratory failure;
- Myasthenia gravis;
- Severe hepatic function disorders.
Age up to 18 years (with paroxysmal fear)
Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug.
Pregnant women can use Klonopin for anxiety only because of absolute indications. Nursing mothers should stop breastfeeding.
The drug should be used with caution in elderly patients (over 65 years) and patients with chronic diseases of the respiratory system and functional disorders of the hepatic and kidneys.
Dosage and Administration
Klonopin 5 mg is taken orally. In case of epilepsy it is usually used in following dosing regimens:
- Adults: initial dose - 0.5 mg three times a day, after a dose is gradually increased (every 3 days to 0.5-1 mg); supporting daily dose - 4.8 mg (3-4 doses); the maximum daily dose - 20 mg;
- Children: initial dose - 0.5 mg 2 times a day, after the dose is gradually increased (every 3 days for 0.5 mg); supporting daily dose - 1-3 mg (children up to 5 years) or 6.3 mg (children 5-12 years); the maximum daily dose - 0.2 mg / kg.
- In the treatment of paroxysmal fear syndrome for adults Klonopin is usually prescribed 1mg of Klonopin per day (maximum - 4 mg per day).
Side effects of Klonopin
During the using of 10mg Klonopin following side effects may occur: fatigue, drowsiness, dizziness, discoordination, ataxia, weakness, visual disturbances, speech and memory problems, nervousness, emotional lability, weakening the ability to acquire knowledge, decreased libido, depression, disorientation, hypersalivation, signs of catarrh of the upper respiratory tract, constipation, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, muscle pain, frequent urination, menstrual disorders, erythrocyte, platelet and leukocytopenia, increased blood concentrations of alkaline phosphatase and transaminases, skin allergic reactions, paradoxical reactions, including insomnia and agitation (require discontinuation of therapy).
Prolonged use of Klonopin may weaken its action. During therapy and for 3 days after its completion to you should not drink alcohol. In case of cancellation of treatment the dose reduce gradually, as abrupt discontinuation of treatment (especially after a long course) can lead to the development of psycho-physical dependence and the appearance of withdrawal symptoms.
Manage the truck and perform service of moving mechanical devices it is not allowed in therapy period.
Effect of Klonopin is increased by neuroleptics, barbiturates, antidepressants, anticonvulsants, alcohol, narcotic analgesics, means, which reduce skeletal muscle tone. The weakening of the action of the drug is observed during the use of nicotine. Concomitant use with alcohol may lead to the development of paradoxical reactions, manifested as aggressive behavior or agitation, pathological intoxication possible condition.